$BlogMetaData$>

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Want to Discourage Abortion? Make PLACENTA More Valuable than Embryos

Having Multiple Sclerosis is no fun. But the idea of harvesting embryonic stem cells to use as a medical treatment is even LESS appealing to me.

That's why when I read this article about placental stem-cells showing effectiveness in treating M.S., I was just thrilled.

Apparently, bearing live children may be more medically beneficial than killing them.

Now, I am as hesitant about abortion as anybody, but the gunky stuff that is now routinely thrown out when a child is born may in fact hold as yet unexploited treatments for a wide range of diseases including the extremely disabling Multiple Sclerosis that took my fairly robust life and turned it into a cause for collecting Social Security Disability before I even saw my 40th birthday.

If treatment with placental stem cells proves to be as effective as it was for Kathy Zuker, it might actually become a deterrent against the abortion of unwanted children.

Harvesting placental tissue for stem cells may sound evil to some, but could it be any more evil than the routine disposal of the stuff that daily occurs in delivery rooms around the world?

Personally, I see the prospect of placental stem cells becoming a pro-life incentive of vastly beneficial economic value...maybe the first untapped medico-economic revolution of the 21st century.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home