$BlogMetaData$>

Friday, February 01, 2008

Intelligence to Understand

I sometimes make some outlandish statements, and if you aren't careful, they may cause you to judge me in odd ways...but I'm not perfect, and my temper gets really bad on occasion, so I have been misinterpreted as thinking more highly of MYSELF than is justified.

But in actuality, my biggest problem is living in a world of people who judge by appearances first, and then consider the realities.

I know that I mention my daily struggle with M.S. frequently enough to sound like a broken record, but it is indeed a daily struggle, and I've found that most people can't accept that.

And by can't, I mean that they have no point-of-reference in their personal experience to identify with what I actually experience. They may sympathize for me, but they can't empathize WITH me. And that's a HUGE disadvantage.

Take for example the reality of not being able to pick up a small- to medium-sized cardboard box with two hands. Most people think "no big deal", but almost everyone in American society can pick up a cardboard box, so in their haste, deliver-personnel might drop a package at my front door and think, "no big deal".

But for me, a 6-foot 4-inch person with Multiple Sclerosis, it CAN BE a big deal. Leaving aside the fact that the disease has left one whole side of my body almost completely paralyzed (meaning just getting to the door can be a challenge) there's the issue of BALANCING on one leg while reaching down to pick up the box...again, it seems so easy as to be an inconsequential task to the non-disabled, but to me it can take up a fair portion of the afternoon just picking up a box, and moving it over the elevated threshold of the doorway into my place.

There are at least TWO delivery-people who are kind enough to knock on my door and wait for me to answer, so this by no means includes them (and I know that these two are as busy as the other 10 so, I'm very thankful for their service).

BTW, I MUST order several things by mail because the stores are all miles away.

Hence, I interpret this as being evidence of greater intelligence, because these two "get it", whereas the remainder DON'T.

And I don't think either is college-educated...they're just conscientious. So when seemingly LAZY people wonder at why my expectations are supposedly so high, it's because I've seen people less gifted make extra effort where it's applicably necessary.

And that makes the two seem like they know more than the rest, some of whom I know are college-educated, because I know some of their peers personally.

Therefore, I say If I were the boss, I'd hire the two of them over 50 of these others, even if ON PAPER, they're less qualified. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home