$BlogMetaData$>

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Language Hijacking

I realize that the economies of several countries are in sad shape, but when the very meaning of English phrases get bastardized out-of-context by people seeking to earn money...albeit honestly...I really get upset.

You see...I have a problem that would not be considered a problem at-all...by MOST people--but it is annoying.

The problem is having exceptional hearing in a world where near-deafness is becoming the rule for various reasons.

Type the words exceptional hearing into any search engine and you are presented with various links to sites aimed at people who have -trouble- hearing rather than anything having to do with really -good- hearing.

Now, I can appreciate that hearing-loss affects a good number of people...but I would think that the terms BAD hearing, TROUBLE hearing or HEARING-LOSS would more aptly apply to those search-results.

However the specter of self-serving product-sales has twisted the phrase exceptional hearing into a sales-pitch for hearing-aids rather than a pointer to what the phrase really means (i.e. my hearing is SO good, I can hear my upstairs neighbor and his girlfriend crunching on Rice Krispies while they are discussing the global-debt crises (which tells me that they weren't properly trained to forgo talking with food in their mouths).

Again, genuinely exceptional-hearing can be as disturbing as hearing-loss.

Anyhow, the point being that genuinely exceptional-hearing can be as disturbing as hearing-loss...but I have no way of searching for people experiencing this same problem of hearing -too- well because the term exceptional hearing HAS BEEN HIJACKED for the sake of selling hearing-aids to the near-deaf.

BTW: No disparagement intended--for those who have trouble with their hearing...I'm only trying to address a problem I can't explain to anybody...because the correct English phrase has been hijacked.

--mattergy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home